The Digital Filmmaking Project at St. Benedict's Prep, Newark, NJ

Presented here are the thoughts, and the films produced by the students in the Digital Filmmaking Project at St. Benedict's Preparatory School in Newark, New Jersey.

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Tyrone: About Making Films

In our first week in this filmmaking class I didn't really learn too much being that I had prior experience with cameras and editing. I did however learn different angles and ways to increase the sound coming on camera especially when we went to NJPAC for our field trip. I was the camera man and I had to overcome the roar of the city i.e the cars, buses, and people just walking around. When we finished our recording at NJPAC I felt pretty great about what I had recorded. Everything came out good.
Something else I learned so far in this course was when we were in class. Most of the times when you are recording it is best to have a crew for the lighting & sound. When I learned this I knew that all of the films that I would begin to make would be much better. Another lesson I got was from Dr. Lansang. I learned about all of the different angles, equipment, and objects to keep the camera steady. This class is very helpful.
Another trip we went on was to Hoboken. When we went there first of all it was freezing but that wasn't the main issue. There were a lot of helicopters flying over the area that we were in so it was hard to get good sound especially with no microphone. We had to constantly stop and restart our filming. We had to take so many takes that we almost didn't finish everything. In the end we did finish and our short film about Facebook Gone Bad came out great.
We also went to New York. New York was great especially for filming, we were there to film a music video and with all of the scenes and people walking made a great setting for a video. When we filmed it seemed as if we were looking around for something and the video should come out awesome. The only problem with our video was that even though we had a tripod i chose not to use it and the film was fairly shaky. That is a problem that can easily be avoided next time and will ultimately make the film much better.
So far this course has proved to be fairly simple besides the huge amounts of work at one time. I am staying on top of most of my editing and filming and i really enjoy what I'm doing. I can see myself doing this as a career, so I'll continue to try my best for positive work in this class.

No comments:

Post a Comment