The Digital Filmmaking Project at St. Benedict's Prep, Newark, NJ

Presented here are the thoughts, and the films produced by the students in the Digital Filmmaking Project at St. Benedict's Preparatory School in Newark, New Jersey.

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Chris: My Experience with Digital Film making

When I first entered this class, I didn't know what to expect. Our first lesson included handouts, instruction manuals, and a little bit of lecturing. I was in shock, I didn't know that a thick manual would be needed in this class. We were also given a book to read, which was also a surprise for me. I thought this class would be a little bit easier, but I was to quick to judge. Throughout the course, things got difficult and challenging, but we as a class were able to overcome them.
Our first film included a segment on the speech by Martin Luther King Jr, I have a Dream, which turned out to be pretty good. We learned different techniques on how to take shots,angles and close-ups. Within this film, we took our first trip to NJPAC in Newark. It was a fun experience, and we took a couple shots there which helped complete our film. With this project, we first learned how to edit clips and arrange them in sequence.
Our second film involved a movie in Hoboken, New Jersey. Our movie was about two kids that stole a bag with contents that were important to the police, in the end the police found the kids with it and took it, which ended up being a good situation for the kids because they returned something valuable to the police. Shooting in Hoboken was definitely a great experience because its a beautiful town with great scenery. I would shoot there again in a heartbeat.
Our third trip was to the area around the World Trade Center, New York. We had to shoot a music video, which was a bit difficult for us because it included taking a lot of difficult and random shots. We walked around for a while, which was a good experience for me because I've never traveled that section of New York before. This music video involves dancing around different locations in New York and still shots that are edited to come out in sequence. Definitely a trip to remember for the year.
Overall, I had a great time with Digital Film making. From working constantly for hours, to going on exiting trips, I would say that Digital Film making has made an impact on my life. It has taught me that hard works takes time, but it pays off. I have learned many new things, such as learning how to use a camera in different ways, editing movies and also directing them. If I had to take Digital Film making as a course in any part of my life, I wouldn't have to think twice about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment