The Digital Filmmaking Project at St. Benedict's Prep, Newark, NJ

Presented here are the thoughts, and the films produced by the students in the Digital Filmmaking Project at St. Benedict's Preparatory School in Newark, New Jersey.

Thursday, May 27, 2010

Devon: MLK Vid

This video was the first video that my first group and I did. Before hand we went over various topics that are important in basic film making, strategically, financially, and time conservatively. The main topics that I learned were: Respect your camera and do your work with a serious attitude, and DO NOT SHOOT SEQUENTIALLY. I am learning an abundance of techniques through a combination of Mike Figgis and Dr. Lansang.
This first video was a test run for me and through it I learned specific areas that, from then on I would have to work on in future recordings; the first would be my organization skills, after recording parts of the video I was not able to locate nor recall which tapes the footage was on, you can't upload if you can't find it. The next problem was the unsteadiness of my hands, though in the rest of the videos filmed it wasn't so much a problem, I didn't realize so many things can affect the camera's steadiness.
I honestly didn't really find the MLK video very exciting to film, but it was a start. No disrespect at all to Martin Luther King has done, but I personally, am interested in more story-lined, dramatic, plot like videos. The fact that I wasn't so in depth with the content of the film was probably for the better because it allowed me to focus more on the techniques of the camera's basic use. Things such as recording, getting good sound quality, switching different locations, and even remembering to forward the tape back to the end of the last footage before recording again (a mistake i made and learned from the hard way).
Though I filmed a lot for this video the real credit for the editing goes to Tyrone S, the next few videos of the class I did the solo editing.

No comments:

Post a Comment